The Daily Digital Photo
Chronicling the life of Clayton and Spenser, with memories of Scooter

May 10, 2007

Funny story about Clayton. When we adopted him his housetraining skills weren't quite up to par. So we set out to crate train him. Dogs, we were told, do not like to dirty the area they live in. So we put Clayton in the crate where he quickly proved the experts wrong. Well, the experts advised, the crate was too large, he was using half of it as the living room, half as the bathroom. Get a smaller crate or put something in it to make it smaller. Sounded good, we had lots of boxes because we had just moved into this house. So we put a box in the crate, then put Clayton in the crate, then put a treat in the crate to assuage our enormous guilt over this whole crate thing. Then we left the house for wherever we were going. I got home first to find Clayton still in the crate surrounded by many, many pieces of shredded box. But wait, it gets worse, in the box had been a container of spackle which Clayton must have opened and there was SOME MISSING!! Phillip was at Home Depot and I don't think we had cell phones "back then" (1995) because I remember calling the store and having him paged. I was positively frantic, sure that our brand new rescue beagle Clayton had eaten half a container of spackle and WHAT WERE WE GOING TO DO?? Well, as it turns out Phillip had used some of that spackle on the bathroom wall and when, as he suggested, I looked in Clayton's mouth I did not see anything resembling spackle. So, no spackle poisoning and Clayton became housetrained despite our best efforts towards the contrary.