The Daily Digital Photo
Chronicling the life of Clayton and Spenser, with memories of Scooter

July 15, 2008

It started innocently enough, a little scratching here, a little scratching there. But when Clayton wouldn't stop scratching we took out the flea comb and it tested positive. Poor Clayton is extremely allergic to the bites and we felt just terrible for him. Last Friday I picked up a topical treatment from the vet (since the Frontline didn't work), and then called an exterminator for an estimate: $275. Maybe later.

So I went to Home Depot and browsed through their arsenal of flea bombs and chose this one because it said we only had to be out of the house for 30 minutes. Well, that's not so bad!

The prep work for flea bombing is a big pain in the butt, mostly involving protecting anything food-related and getting rid of dog hair. Phillip had to take the shop vac out of the garage to tackle under the couch and behind our bed.

Spenser paced nervously while Clayton supervised from this perch in what had become a virtual dog bed showroom. Oh, and before the prep started I reread the back of the box and crap, it's not 30 minutes, it's 4 HOURS and 30 minutes! It was too hot to leave the boys outdoors so what could we do? That's right, a roadtrip. First we drove about a half hour to Trader Joes where I stocked up on goodies while Phillip stayed in the car with the boys. I would have a picture of this except that Phillip and I were squabbling. Really, can you blame us?

Then, with still 3 hours to go, we went to PetSmart and ordered 2 pedicures, please.

Afterwards, Clayton stopped at the lunch buffet.

Then it was on to the drive-through beverage store. I'm serious! You drive into the store, show the guy what you want, he loads it in the car, you pay and drive off. Here Phillip is waiting for the forklift to bring his Diet Mt. Dew and wondering if there's enough room in the car or if he'll have to leave Spenser.

With an hour and a half to go we drove to our friends Nancy and Bob's. They have 3 dogs and 13 cats and we wanted to keep it that way, so the boys stayed on leash.

We all had dinner, and Clayton volunteered to help clean up. Such a polite guest!

But by now we were all getting a little antsy.

After 4 hours, Phillip drove home, turned on the attic fan and returned
to pick us up. Everyone was glad to go home. Except the fleas, I hope.